Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Updates are exhausting...

Motoring right along.

I got the tank sectioned out and a new bottom welded in. Things look kinda rough around the rear of the tank, but I had an odd angle I needed to fill in. Hopefully it will all hold, but of course I will pressure-test it first. Will wait until spring for that... need a tub of water, a pump of some sort, and a steady eye to look for any bubbles. I've left the petcock mount as is for now.







I now have enough room for the cylinder head, carburetor, and hoses that feed back into the cylinder head.




I also finished the RHS frame tube -- not symetical, as it needs to clear the exhaust manifold. Luckily I tacked and checked first... I needed to move the forward down tube "up" to clear. You can also see the start of the header I'm fabricating. I may add a brace or gusset to connect the forward tube with the engine lug, but that will likely be overkill -- I'll hold off for now.



Rather than use the OEM header and cut and section that, I've scavenged (again!) some 1 3/4" in tube that I made an exhaust from -- the KTM-Aprilia project. I had to make my own exhaust flange, and weld in a couple of "shoulders" for it to butt against, but I think it should work. Took quite some time -- a cheap bandsaw and a bunch of files is all I have to try and plane the mating surface. I am actually going to use one of my Ducati gaskets.

The header so far is just a start -- but it curves nicely out of the cylinder head -- I've got a few more slightly curved sections I can use, but no more 90 degree bends -- will need to get some from Canadian Tire. This is mild steel, rather than stainless, so I can complete a workable header and exhaust myself, rather than take it elsewhere for tig-welding. May be slightly heavier, but, who cares?



You can see the considerable size difference between the OEM section of exhaust on the left, and what I am using on the right. I'd hazard a guess that the aftermarket exhausts like what Muzzy is using is likely close to the same OD -- albeit again in Stainless. While what I've got done so far has been time consuming, it is especially satisfying, as I was planning on a temporary exhaust using the smaller tube, and then likely a larger one in mild steel, and then a proper one in stainless. Maybe this will be the one and only exhaust I will need to fabricate!

No comments: