Friday, December 26, 2008

Tyga, tyga

Sorry for the literary reference... looks like I have sorted the entire bodywork for the project. I had been leaning towards a minimalist style, but then came across "Tyga" bodywork online. Basically they find a way to fit GP-style bodywork to street-legal 250s and 400s (none of which are very plentiful in the USA and Canada), and make it all kosher by also fitting headlights. This RGV250 set caught my eye...

It seemed particularly appropriate as the source machine was a suzook, same as the DRZ engine. I choked, though, when I calculated the shipping costs to get the stuff here from Asia... the parts are very highly rated, but the far side of $1000 was staring at me. It didn't matter at the time, as I was in no rush whatsoever. Finishing the bodywork was a long way off. Then I typed "tyga" into eBay and came across this:

This is a kit from an NSR250. Also called an MC28 or MC21, the seller had imported it at tremendous cost to himself, and ended up not using it. This picture of the finished product in Repsol/Rossi colours captured my imagination. Somehow the same shapes with a Rizla paint scheme, or another MotoGP inspired idea seemed pretty cool...





It is complete with a front headlight and turn signals integrated into the headlight shell.







This is what I will get -- upper, lower, headlight, two windscreens, tail light, fairing brackets, seat section, seat pad, and seat subframe. All for $599. I was the only bidder. Will be a bit of work to fit to the frame, but not impossible. Considering the hassle I am avoiding on properly-fitted lights alone, I'm laughing. Two windscreens is nice. As well, if I can get the nice aluminum subframe (with battery box) to work as well, the machine will come together almost too fast!
Again, will be shipped to Pop... along with my mig-welder (still not there?), the manual, and the YZF450 radiator. Right now, home for a short pit-stop. More sundries in the back of the car -- 4130 steel tubing, tubing cutter, oil lines, and a few other things for other projects.

No comments: