Warmer weather this weekend; while I did a bit of work on the ex650, I spent some time working on a wiring diagram for the Cafe Racer. My first attempt was close, but even better solicited some sympathetic support from XS650forum.com, and someone did up a really nice one for me, all computer generated and color coded. The kids and I will start the wiring process shortly. Follow the progress at http://www.tcskidscafe.blogspot.ca/.
On the ex, I simply mounted the rain tire on the black front wheel (sold the red one to Wilson, who has gone the way of the diesel after selling his TZ250), and got the bike off the front stand. Still waiting on some rotor spacers for the Carrozzeria wheel, but at least the back-ordered wrist pin has arrived. So my new OEM piston set is complete, and according to Canada Post, my Cylinder head has arrived at RLR in the UK. Should hear from Rick shortly as to progress on that build. I also have come to understand that RLR has a Isle of Man-winning pedigree, winning two races with a certain John McGuinness on an RVF400.
As usual, my head is full of ideas on how to improve the racebike. I've gotten some inspiration from a supertwin racer posted on eBay UK. I even was able to ask some questions of the seller...
With this solution, the tank is mounted to the main frame, not the subframe. The ECU is moved forward for easy access, and the weight transfer of 2 gals of fuel sloshing forward in the space for 4 gallons would be eliminated -- centralizing the mass. A foam seat pad would be attached to the aluminum subframe itself; the "pod" of the tail would be bolted to the back of the seat (like the Aprilia RS250). In the event of a crash, the fibreglass pod would bear the brunt of the damage, and could be easily replaced.