Friday, August 19, 2016

Trackday Fun

It's been some time since I posted anything on this blog.... I'm having a blast on the KTM, and recently took it the 12 hours south to Hastings for a Trackaddix track day.  Wilson and I made the trip together.
Bike selfie?  I really shouldn't be using my phone while I drive, but Hwy 10 south in the morning is pretty barren.  Can you tell I'm excited?  The cereal killer van didn't skip a beat.

In short order we had Marmaduke and the Ducati loaded in the Hemi and we were on our way.  The forecast for Nebraska wasn't great, but for once we didn't experience any rain or torrential headwinds on the way down.

Saturday was rain-free, despite the dire warnings of the locals and the forecasts.  Overcast and about 23 degrees, which is perfect for a ginger like me.

To use the kids' vernacular these days, Saturday was epic!  84 laps of a 2.2 mile circuit.  Rode until I was exhausted and tired, and the bike didn't skip a beat.  Very fun to ride, and passed a number of "bigger" bikes.  Got into the low 1:46s, which is a way off from the really fast dudes, but approaching my quickest times when I was on more powerful bikes.  In the longer corners, I was leaning over so far for so long I couldn't tuck my boots in any more, and I was grinding my toes past the sliders.

The Dunlop tires worked quite well.  They are the "Unbeaten" tires, in a 110/150 fitment -- slightly narrower than standard, but gripped fine for my purposes.  A few moments when there was movement, but no real slides or anything.
Sunday it rained a bit in the morning, but that was a good thing... still tired!  Under the metal canopy I oogled some of the bikes that were there.  When you are tired with your Aprilia V4 (background), take your MV triple out for a spin...

In the end, did another 30 laps on Sunday, but at least went a second quicker -- 1:45:3 -- quicker than I went on the zx7r when I was there last, and less than a second off of the ex650 I spent a lot of time and money on.  I am confident that I can go faster.  I was starting to get to the limits of the rear shock, but the forks held up fine.  In all, one of the best trackday trips, if not the best, I've done.  A great facility, a good organization, and a great trip.  Even a 70km tailwind on the way home saved some gas money.  Hooray!

No comments: