Friday, August 12, 2011

exhaust, more paint, and a wee trick part

Worked on getting the exhaust mounted up.  I just need to put the muffler and tailpipe in situ, and then drop the whole shebang off at Cycleboyz so they can do the hard part -- fabricate the 2-1 header.  Exhaust is an M4 off of ebay, for an R1.  80 bucks! Score!

Rear muffler hanger is a steel strap mockup, to be replaced with something much nicer in alloy when the time comes.  Not bad for a full carbon muffler, and should be quieter considering the likely bark of the big single.



Tank now has 2 coats of clear.  Tank protector is an old 916 carbon jobbie I had laying around.  Not sure if it will stay, as it is 98% there in terms of "perfect" fitment, but it is designed for the larger, although similarly-shaped ducati tank.

Lower fairing.  One coat of clear over the latex blue, and then the number plate was painted with krylon.  Next chance I get I'll put the second coat of clear on...

I'd seen a few specials with these new motocross rear master cylinders -- with an integral rear reseviour, kinda looks pretty cool in my opinion.  The mounting bolts won't line up with stock roadbike mounts, but since I am custom making my rearsets and m/c brackets, this should be simple.  On another note, the rear lower mount requires an m8x1.25 rose joint.  Unavailable in farmer-ville here -- standard threads only.  However I took one I had lying around, I think from dad's old aircraft stock, drilled it out (originally 1/4 fine thread) and then tapped it for m8.  Sorted!


No comments: