Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The kids are alright....

I hope.  I guess I am a closet power mech teacher... I've always wanted to get students involved in mechanics, either bike, car, lawnmower, whatever.  So I've got a 3-week window where there is a spare classroom at school, and me and some interested students are going to rebuild the 'mono after school.

The bike got into its current state after I picked up the machine from Cycleboyz after the exhaust was fabricated.  Looked awesome, will soon post a pic on the website itself, with it on the motorcycle.  You can see it to the right of the fuel tank in the picture.  Hopefully the kids won't see this and panic tommorow -- will see it as a jigsaw puzzle/mecchano set to put together.







When I re-did the valves, springs, and rings, I didn't have a new cam chain tensioner gasket on hand.  I now have one (two, actually -- spares), and I thought I'd triple check the valve timing... I have nightmares of expensive valves hitting the piston.  I did turn it over several times on the bench previously, but I just want to be sure... too much at stake!
Note unused "BFH" to the left...







Stainless steel lovliness -- quite light, and will look pretty cool!  Ordered a new exhaust gasket from Scotty at Transcanada as well.










The plan is to take pics of the rebuild, and post the progress.  Those who participate will sign the new RS125 tail section after I've painted it, but before it is clearcoated... their legacy!

No comments: