Sunday, January 11, 2009

Quiet Weekend

Relatively. Parts from both Atom Jet and the Suzuki dealer came in this week. From Atom Jet, the last two spacers for the rear swingarm were completed. Slot in as expected. From the Suzuki dealer, some oil line fittings and dowels, as well as the radiator spigot from the LTZ400 quad that routes the rad hose in the right direction. Basically, an elbow that bolts onto the cylinder head in a different orientation than what was required on the dirt bike. Should be getting a pile more parts from FF this week.

As for the Duc, spent a frustrating but ultimately fruitful day tack-welding the stainless steel tubing I bought on eBay to finish the forward (horizontal) header. It will need to be finish-welded by either tig or mig. The headers were originally mig-welded, so perhaps for consistency's sake these should be too. Then I'll fabricate an exhaust mount for the reverse-cone muffler.

I may have a place to stay at a DOCC rally this summer at Calabogie. By all accounts, an amazing track. Will have to make some decisions and arrangements to make sure that happens. A long trip, but hopefully worth it to ride a different track and get to know other Ducati nuts in the country.

Of my previous "to purchase" list, I was able to get the right air filter (new) for less than half the price advertised by Dennis Kirk ($20 vs $48), and a two-brothers bolt on muffler from a ZX10R for only $25.00. The muffler has a bit of damage to it, but if the pictures are correct, not too much.

My $100 reconditioned Mig Welder has been stuck in Minneapolis since December 17... no idea why. I've put the seller onto it, but no answers yet. For no other reason than to look at nice bikes, here are a few -- Capirossi's Suzuki MotoGP bike. I like this version as there is no obvious mention of "Rizla" -- the main sponsor of the team. For those of you unaware, Rizla is a Dutch company (I think) that makes tobacco rolling papers. For some reason, I have no issues with putting Lucky Strike on the side of my machine, but a rolling paper company gives me pause, mainly due to the fact that very little tobacco is rolled in Rizla papers... you guessed it -- it's a particular favorite of pot-heads. The only "Stoner" I've heard of is named Casey, and he rides a Ducati. Not the image I want to portray, being a school principal or not. Drugs are for losers.

Another idea I had is to go the (now vintage) Kawasaki route. It's official, there will be no Kwak team in MotoGP this year; blame it on the economy. And considering all the help Scott had given me at TransCanada, the local Kawi dealer, maybe this would be more appropriate... This is a particularly old picture -- I think the first MotoGP Kawi prototype. Being a fan of Gary McCoy, maybe doing the bike up like his would be better, or even the Nakano bike I got to see up close at the 2005 Laguna race.

Remember, I have the option of calling the bike a Suzuki DRZ400-based supermono, or a Kawasaki KLX400 based supermono...

Finally, trolling the web for other 'mono resources and builders, I have come across a few.

1. Nisky Garage: a teacher at a school in the states is building a supermono with his students. Regular updates and great photos, as well as access to some neat tools. Yes, I am jealous, as some items are also donated to the program, but as a fellow educator, hits home to me. What a great idea. Here is the link: http://niskygarage.logical.net/nisky_garage/Home.html

Here is a pic to get you hooked. Honda RS250 frame, swingarm and tank; TZ250 front end; Infinity bodywork; supermono wheels. I think if I had this as an option in High School, I woulda dropped all the university-entrance courses I took...





2. TZ690. A Brit is building a supermono to race in the BUFF series in the UK. Not building a frame from scratch, but is trying to fit a donor engine into a TZ frame. He started with an XR600, but Dave Pearce convinced him to go with the new Katoom 640cc engine. Should be a rocket. http://mitomono.blogspot.com/



3. Team Thumper. http://team-thumper.blogspot.com/. Another bunch of Brits. Even has some videos on the site. But of course, not updated as religiously as yours truly. Stand by for funny British humour -- most of which I wouldn't have gotten had I not watched "CBC Latenight" back in the 80s... Benny Hill, Carry on Camping... etc.

No comments: