Sunday, June 15, 2008

Home made slider




As I may have previously posted, there are a few Ducati MH900E parts that come up with the dreaded "NLA" tag on the parts microfiche. One of those is an 11 dollar part, but one that is critical to the machine. The upper chain slider. The lower one was easy to find, and I immediately bolted it to the bike when I got it months ago from Wildwood. I soon found that when I mounted the chain, the upper part of the newly-coated swingarm would get sawn through in short order. So obviously, Ducati put the slider in place for a reason. I first tried lexan, but the curve of the swingarm (in 3 different axis) made that only a temporary solution. I would need a proper one in nylon.

The good thing is, I was able to acquire a hunk of scrap nylon block, and utilizing the bandsaw, the drill press, an angle grinder, and a knife, I was able to carve out what you see here. Unfortunately the whiteness of it all sticks out a bit, but over time, some chain lube and road grime will hopefully color it a less contrasting color. It looks to be sorted! Big ups to PB member "Uschi" who sent me some pics of a stock upper slider to go by. Danke!

No comments: