Saturday, September 29, 2007

Getting ready for new colors




As you can see, the tank and tail went from black to white/black pretty quickly -- hi-build primer will do that for you. After taking a lot of time to get the tail fitting properly (it is pretty poor quality stock), I set about getting the basis of a decent finish coat. It involved a lot of sanding, fibreglass, epoxy resin, filler, and putty, along with a sandable primer, but I now have a really nice, smooth finish on the tail and tank. I debated for quite some time as to color... with the orange-red frame, black, metallic blue, a contrasting orange, silver, and white would have all looked good, but in the end, I'm going to try a coarse metallic white. Subtle, I guess. Logos are going to be minimalist, but I can monkey with a stock 999R decal to get "966R"... and I located some Cagiva/Ducati "elephant" logos which match the 2-piece suit I bought when I sold the RedBull yellow leathers. Hmmm, just in time for winter. At least I can paint the waterbournes inside...


BTW, the rear tailight is a clear alternatives model for an MV, and with some tinkering I was actually able to get the integrated turn signals to work properly on the switch. A very clean design.


As for the pipes, some raucous Hindle hi-mounts (complete system) are on the way. Gawd I love ebay.

No comments: