Thursday, April 2, 2009

ducati days

With the 'mono off at Cycleboyz, I had some time to work on the Ducati. Just goofing around I decided to check to see how the mantis headlight looked up against the front of the Ducati. Then I decided to see how easy it would be to mount it. Then I checked to see if the wiring would work. One thing led to another, and I installed the fairing! I really liked how it looked -- and the metallic silver is growing on me.



It was likely helped by the silver wheels I mounted. I prefer these over the gold ones, and I got the pair for a screaming deal from a guy in Alberta -- matches the black and red "tone" of the bike a lot better. I also attached the ducati wheel rim stickers I had patiently kept for a few years. Even better, swapping cold tires went better than it should -- the gold pair are on ebay -- I hope to get at least what I paid for the silver set.
The wiring of the headlights went pretty quickly -- a diode is required so that the lower light comes on when the lobeam is on, and both when on high. If you just attach them as is, one comes on low, and then shuts off (and the other comes on) when you switch it on high. I did this about 10 years ago to my EX500 -- I wanted to ape the then-new Bimota vDue headlights. I got the signals wired, a new oil warning light installed, and checked everything out. I tried to start it, but it is just too cold -- as well, the battery is a bit weak for this application -- OK for a racer, but not powerful enough for a streetbike that might be left for a few days. Some internet research has led me to what I think is a suitable batter, but it will require a custom battery tray installed in the subframe. Oh well, its been awhile since I have done any welding...

No comments: