Sunday, November 9, 2008

Swingarm Bushings

I got the rear swingarm back from Atom-Jet with the aluminized bronze bushings installed. A nice fit -- might need to trim a bit off of each end to allow for thrust washers. Maybe not -- will let pop take a look and give his opinion. Rod (15mm) still needs to be cut down and threaded into a bolt, but that can wait until later. Will be using the same 14mmx1.5 nuts (locking) from KTM I sourced awhile back for the 450 project. Also was able to finally source a rear caliper bracket from eBay.UK -- hopefully that is in my hands in short order. Still thinking about how I am going to mount the rear shock. Got some specs about the Hawk GT shock online... but of course can't do anything until the actual item is in my hands.
Using a bit of long-forgotten math (sine laws, of all things), I was able to determine that, based on the length of the swingarm from pivot to rear axle, in order to get the ideal 12 degree angle of the swingarm, the pivot point needed to be 111mm above the centreline of the rear axle. SOOOO glad I took the hell that was Math 300 to use the formula... once since I graduated!

No comments: